Sport & Recreation
Whether you’re a first-time skater or a well-practiced athlete, we encourage you to check out our ice surfaces. We offer two NHL-size arenas – the Cenovus Arena and the RJ Lalonde Arena – plus a smaller, recreational surface called the Leisure Pond. Skate aids are available for use free of charge. New in 2018 is the outdoor Apergy Community Rink as well.
You may just find that there’s no better way to spend your free time than on the ice! We offer recreational shinny hockey and public skate times. Learn figure-skating or score the winning goal with one of our local clubs. Join us for some fun on the ice!
For the safety and consideration of all users, the following rules apply:
- Adults providing supervision do not require skates, but shoes must be clean if used on the ice
- Children 8 and under must wear helmets on all arenas
- Hockey sticks and pucks are not allowed on the Leisure Pond
- Unique guidelines apply to the Apergy Community Rink (see below)
RJ Lalonde Arena
The RJ Lalonde Arena opened its doors to Bonnyville in 1982 and was incorporated into the new Centennial Centre complex in 2007. The arena is named after the late Rosaire Joseph Lalonde whose dedication and volunteer service to minor hockey exemplified the community spirit that continues to be the foundation of this facility.
An NHL-sized arena with a capacity of 1900, the RJ Lalonde Arena is home to the Alberta Junior ‘A’ Hockey League Bonnyville Pontiacs, and is utilized by minor sports and recreational league groups in Bonnyville.
During ice-season, we also schedule regular public skating and drop-in shinny hockey sessions.
Cenovus Arena & Leisure Pond
The Cenovus Arena is one of the C2’s two NHL-sized arenas, has a seating capacity of 350, and provides an ice surface for a variety of minor sports and recreational league groups in Bonnyville. During ice-season, we also schedule regular public skating and drop-in shinny hockey sessions.
Off-season, both the arenas are available for hosting trade shows and other events as well as sports and recreation activities such as roller-skating, ball hockey and lacrosse.
The Leisure Pond provides a welcoming environment for anyone learning to skate and families with younger children. Skating aids are available for use free of charge.
Apergy Community Outdoor Rink
We are pleased to present the Apergy Community Rink – our brand-new, outdoor skating arena available for use free of charge. The rink, as well as the heated skate shack, are open from 8:00am-12:00am each day.
For the safety and consideration of all users, the following unique guidelines apply to the Apergy Community Rink:
- Skate at your own risk – the rink is unsupervised. Neither the Town nor the Centennial Centre shall be responsible for incidents.
- Helmets must be worn at all times by skaters 12 years of age and under. Helmet use by all ages is highly recommended.
- Users 8 years of age and under must be supervised by a parent/guardian.
- Skates are required by all users. Supervisors may wear clean shoes on the ice.
- For shinny hockey, gloves and helmets are required.
- As this is a shared rink, please be courteous of all users
Full Apergy Community Rink Guidelines are posted at the arena.
RJ Lalonde Arena
Apergy Community Rink
AECOM FIELD HOUSE
The AECOM Field House is a versatile, multi-functional space that appeals to a wide variety of audiences, groups and users. Its athletic and recreational capabilities make it perfect for practices, games, tournaments and league sports. The space is adaptable for soccer, volleyball, badminton, basketball, and pickleball, plus a whole host of unstructured games, sports, and recreation.
We have a variety of equipment – from hula hoops to floor hockey sticks – available at the Welcome Desk for use in the AECOM Field House.
Experience the vertical challenge of our 32-foot indoor Climbing Wall – designed to portray real rock surfaces with an overhang and maneuverable rocks for added challenge! The Climbing Wall provides a fun and exciting experience for all climber levels, and is suitable for ages 4 and above. We offer Open Climb Time with a trained supervisor, the Climbing Club and Wall Warriors, and more advanced users may use the wall on their own once they have become C2 Belay Certified. Please call us at 780-812-3400 for full details.
For your next birthday gathering, why not plan a party that includes use of the Climbing Wall with a trained supervisor. Please contact the Welcome Desk at 780-812-3400 for options and details.
Organizations and groups are welcome to book the Climbing Wall for events such as school trips or corporate and team-building challenges.
CLIMBING WALL RULES AND HOURS
Drop-In Rates apply during Open Climb Time, and if you have a Full Membership, you can use the Climbing Wall for FREE.
- Carabiners and helmets are included in Climbing Wall use; children 14 and under must wear helmets.
- Climbing harnesses are available for rental for $3.00.
- Indoor shoes must be worn when using the Climbing Wall; optional climbing shoes are available in a range of sizes.
- You must be Belay Certified to use the Climbing Wall on your own, without supervision. If you are not Belay Certified, you may enjoy the Climbing Wall during Open Climb Time.
The Theatre has comfortable fixed-seating for 60, a large screen projector and built-in sound system, and a whiteboard, making it ideally suited for training, presentations and seminars, plus our great selection of movies.
The Theatre is also a convenient space for private events such as birthday parties. We can help plan a fun event that may include the showing of a favorite movie or X-Box gaming on Bonnyville’s largest HD projection! Please contact the Welcome Desk for full details.
See 2 Kidz Indoor Playground provides a safe and exciting environment for children while parents are using the C2 Facility – working out, taking a fitness class, or enjoying lunch with a friend. The Indoor Playground is suitable for children up to age 10.
Indoor Playground Rules
- Children must wear clean socks or indoor shoes while using the playground.
- To ensure the health of all visitors, we appreciate your cooperation in ensuring that a child with any sickness or illness does not use the Indoor Playground. See 2 Kidz is a nut-free facility.
Parent/Guardian Supervised Play is perfect if you plan to stay in See 2 Kidz Indoor Playground and provide supervision for your own child.
HOURS AND DETAILS
Parent/Guardian Supervised Play
- Children 2 and Under: FREE
- Children 3 to 10 Years: $3.00
- C2 Members: FREE
Staff Supervised Childcare enjoy the many amenities at the C2 while your child, aged 2 to 10, is kept busy and active with our fun supervisors.
Staff Supervised Childcare is available:
Monday through Friday: 9:00am to 1:00pm
*Afternoon/Evening hours resume in September, 2019.
- Parent/Guardian must stay inside the Centennial Centre building and sign-in and sign-out their child
- Available for children ages 2 to 10 who are fully potty-trained
- Maximum stay is 3 hours per child
$5.00 per hour per child
10 Hour Punch Pass: $45.00
Arena Recreation Rental Rates
|Note - Arena time and rates are based on 1 hour blocks: 50 minutes of user time plus 10 minute flood or safety and equipment reset|
|Block||Time Period||Adult||Youth||Special Rates|
|Non-Prime ||6:00am - 4:00pm Weekdays||$125.00||$100.00 ||
Bonnyville Minor Hockey / Bonnyville Figure Skating Club $120.00
|Prime||All Ice Rentals In August||$170.00||$140.00|
|4:00pm - Close Weekdays||$170.00||$140.00|
|8:00am - Close Weekends||$170.00||$140.00|
|No Ice||6:00am - 4:00pm Weekdays||$70.00||$70.00||n/a|
|4:00pm - Closed Weekdays||$100.00||$100.00|
|8:00am - Close Weekends||$100.00||$100.00|
Field House Recreation Rates
|Note - Field House time and rates are based on 1 hour blocks: 50 minutes of user time plus 10 minute safety and equipment reset|
|Block||Time Period||Standard Rate||Special Rates|
|Non-Prime||6:00am - 4:00pm Weekdays||$70.00||Schools $60.00
Bonnyville Minor Soccer $80.00
|Prime||4:00pm - Close Weekdays|
8:00am - Close Weekends
|Non-Prime||6:00am - Close Weekdays|
8:00am - Close Weekends
Fitness & Recreation Facilities
|Facility||Full Membership||Single Use||Hourly Rental||Notes|
|Note - Rates effective January 1, 2018|
|Climbing Wall||Included||Drop-In rates||Standard $104.00|
|Additional $3 fee for harness.
Extra instructor charge of $25.00 per hour for groups larger than 8
|Dance Studio||Included||Day Pass or 10 Punch Pass||$50.00|
|Indoor Playground||Included||Drop-In rates||$50.00|
Seniors aged 60 and above FREE
|Leisure Pond||Included||Drop-In rates||N/A|
|Wellness Centre||Included||Day Pass or 10 Punch Pass||N/A|