Check out our latest on Instagram here:
MAY 26: Be Your Own MOTIVATION!
If you enjoy fitness classes, you are probably missing the group atmosphere and camaraderie, but now more than ever, exercise is so important! It can have a huge impact on your overall wellness, and ease anxiety and stress. We are still with you even though we can’t be together! Here are a few things you can do to help keep motivated to EXERCISE!
- Schedule your workouts to prevent putting them off or avoiding them altogether – maybe set the alarm on your phone.
- Plan your workouts at times of the day when you have the most energy
- Talk about your exercise plans to your partner, friends, and family. This will help you stick with it.
Even a small amount of movement can make a large difference. Here are a few tips:
- If you have the opportunity to get outside, take advantage of it! Take a walk, do some gardening, or enjoy listening to the birds. The fresh air and sunshine will benefit your overall health
- Try to stay accountable and motivated by using a fitness tracker or app, or by keeping a journal. It will help you to see your progress and give you a sense of accomplishment
- Sneak movement into your daily life – do household chores at a brisk pace, stand up and walk while you’re on the phone, do squats, lunges or jumping jacks during commercial breaks, and take advantage of supper cooking in the oven to do some simple exercises
We offer FREE fitness classes each weekday morning live on our Facebook page, and if you can’t make the live class, scroll down our feed and watch the class anytime that suits your schedule.
MAY 7: Wondering what we’ve been up to since we closed to the public on March 17?
We have been following the strict guidelines and strategies mandated by the Governments of Canada and Alberta, as well as Health Canada and Alberta Health Services. We are also listening and watching for details as they emerge regarding Alberta’s Relaunch Strategy: https://www.alberta.ca/alberta-relaunch-strategy.aspx
Since we closed to the public on March 17, we have remained optimistic and very busy behind the scenes!
- We have extensive deep cleaning being carried out throughout the entire facility.
- The Fitness & Wellness Centre has been brightened up with fresh paint, some equipment refurbishing, etc.
- We are planning and carrying out a number of facility enhancement and preparedness projects including retrofitting each arena with two new dressing rooms for the younger Initiation and Novice level teams. This will allow us to better accommodate their needs as they typically play with the ice surface divided in half so four teams can play at one time.
- The AECOM Field House floor is undergoing a refurbishing treatment that will restore its surface to near-new condition.
- We are also re-configuring some rooms and adding a children’s washroom to ready the facility for the Happy House Daycare to move in.
- We are extremely eager to get our children’s and adult’s programming and activities going again, and are monitoring the situation very closely so we are prepared to launch as soon as we can.
- We also have a list of fun special events in the works for when we reopen.
Take care, and we’ll see you soon!
APRIL 22: Keep Your Mind Fresh by Learning a New Skill While Self-Isolating
While you’re cooped up at home, consider taking some time to learn a new skill, increase your knowledge on a topic, keep your mind fresh, and focus on your well-being. Virtual learning can actually help to maintain a sense of community while self-distancing. There are so many online learning options available right now (for free and for a fee), and here are three you might want to have a look at!
* Pandemicuniversity.com is a brand-new, pop-up school of writing.
* Coursera.org is where you can learn skills from top universities for free.
* Masterclass.com provides online classes from the best in the world, like this one on gardening with Ron Finley
Reading is #goodforthesoul > now is a perfect opportunity to sit down with that book you’ve been wanting to make time for. Plus, there are studies galore on why it’s important to read aloud to your kids > it stimulates their imagination and helps them develop language and listening skills. For both yourself and your kiddos, try and commit to reading for a set time each day. If you’re looking to add to your at-home resources > this link will share with you tons of ideas including full read-alouds by Canadian authors.
Staying positive and optimistic during these challenging times can be difficult, but it’s so important to your overall well-being. Some quick tips: maintain a morning schedule even if you’re #selfisolating, slow down an be extra mindful, check-in (digitally) with friends often, include exercise in your daily routine ~ here are 10 tips that you’ll want to keep front-of-mind these days…#thinkpositivethursday #onthebrightside #beyourbestself #thursdaythoughts #laughterisgoodforthesoul #keepconnected